Sunday, February 22, 2009

One's Never Too Old To Survive Cancer If One Had The Resources
















This gutsy lady is my late maternal grandmother's sister. She is 81 years old and is recovering from lymphoma. The last time I saw her in October, 2008 she was 10 kilograms heavier and was not diagnosed with cancer yet. She started her treatment only about three months ago.

As I was advised not to visit her during her chemotherapy sessions for fear that visitors would infect her with bacteria and viruses, I had abide by it and had not seen her at all. I however had frequently inquired about her from her brother and sent my salam to her.

She has had 4 chemo sessions and on Monday will start the second last one of six sessions in all.
This morning I was woken up with the ring of my phone. It was my grandaunt, Che Ramlah, at the other end. She sounded very upbeat and I was surprised that she called. She asked me why I had not visited her, adding that she was much better now.

She was happy to see my husband and I this afternoon and could not stop chatting. However, we were afraid to tire her and did not prolong our visit. We left promising to visit her again after her next chemo session.

For an old lady to be able to withstand the chemotherapy treatment is indeed a miracle. Considering that she is a widow with no children of her own. Her strong will and strong survival instincts has pulled her through. I pray that she will have a long life so that I can continue to get stories about our family history from her.

Actually, this grandaunt of mine was a senior civil servant in her younger days. She had taken care of orphans in many government orphanages in all her working life. Her last posting was as the District Welfare Officer of the Gombak District in Selangor. She married late in life, Although she does not have a child to call her own, she has numerous children who call her "Mummy". She also has many nieces and nephews whom she had cared for over the years. Of her surviving siblings, her three younger brothers, each aged 71, 74 and 78 respectively are her source of support and strength. They had showered her with love and concern and most importantly the financing for her cancer treatment at the finest private hospital. Todate, her treatment costs RM 45,000. How lucky she is!

No comments: