Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Mother's Love

I would like to relate something I witnessed recently.
I attended a kenduri (doa selamat) on Sunday for the safe passage of my husband's aunt,her husband and daughter on their coming trip to Mecca to perform the haj.When nearly all the guests have left,a taxi pulled up near the house.A frail lady in her 80's or 90's came out of the taxi being assisted on both arms by two persons.I saw that the manner she was walking was unusual.Upon close scrutiny, I noticed that she was blind.Then it dawned upon me,how lucky the man was,that his mother, on hearing that her son is going on his haj journey of repentance and self-discovery, and with all her disabilities and difficulties, came to give her blessings!I pitied the mother because the last time I saw her before I left for home, she was fast asleep on a mat placed under the front porch.The trip must have exhausted her.

For us Muslims,before we go to the Holy Land, we have to perform the taubah to seek God's forgiveness for all our past misdeeds. We also have to seek forgiveness from our fellow brethren and close associates.To a man the first person, he has to seek forgiveness and blessings is his mother.How poignant it is to see the mother in all her hardships coming instead of waiting for her son to come to her.The love of a mother knows no bounds.

No comments: