Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Nasi Beriani Johor




I picked up a recipe magazine at the Mamak store yesterday. I was attracted to the title "250 Juadah Enak Rumah Terbuka". As the festive season is just around the corner, I felt tempted to see what is new. I found a weird recipe putting strawberry jam in a fruit pickle. I prefer my pickles a bit sour not sweet, thank you.

The nasi beriani recipe and the accompanying dishes seems interesting. It is from the owners of a restaurant in Shah Alam. Below is my translation of the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 kg Basmathi rice
1.5 liter water
1/2 tsp beriani powder
3 stalks mint leaves
5 tabsp ghee
1/2 tin evaporated milk
1 tabsp vinegar
a dash of yellow colouring
salt
1 stock cube, chicken or beef flavour
To be fried:

3 star anise
2 stick cinnamon
6 cloves
6 cardamoms
1 large onion

Blended or grounded ingredients:

2 onions
5 cloves garlic
10 cm ginger

Method:

Wash the rice and soak for 10 minutes.Strain.
Heat ghee in a saucepan and add in all the frying ingredients.Stir until fragrant. Add in the grounded ingredients together with the beriani powder and mint leaves.Stir well.Add in water and let boil before adding the rice, evaporated milk mixed with vinegar, salt,and stock cube.I have deleted the sugar as I don' like sweet beriani rice. Stir the mixture. Close the saucepan with its lid and allow the rice to cook over a low heat. After the water has been absorbed and the rice dries, sprinkle in the colouring and stir the rice.

The recipe does not mention any garnishing. I would prefer if you add finely cut Chinese celery (daun sup), toasted cashew nuts and raisins as garnishing.

If the beriani does not cook well because of insufficient water, take it out of the saucepan and steam it in a steamer for 10 minutes.








'

No comments: