Wednesday, May 12, 2010

APATHY OR IGNORANCE

My children commented that my 'supposed to be a source for recipes' blog has turned into something else.Well, I feel I have enough recipes to choose from.Recipes alone could make my blog a bore.Therefore I have added comments and quotes on current affairs which I think are somewhat of interest to my readers.

Parenting and other issues are also of importance to young people. In whatever we embark to do, it is best that we gain some knowledge from the experience of others. That would make our learning curve less steep.

Today I would like to comment on my observation at the Accident and Emergency Deparment of a large hospital today. I was accompanying my husband and was sitting at the end of the ward. A young Indian man was in a bed beside another older Indian man some 3 beds away. The former tried to sit up but failed. He tried to call for help but no words came. I thought he wanted to ease himself  and couldn't get down from the bed as he was on a drip. The older Indian man's wife noticed and tried to tell the nurse. But neither the nurse nor the lady did anything to help the younger man.

One minute later, the younger man was in a fit. His arms were 'dancing' in the air. No one noticed or pretended not to notice except busybody me. I quickly walked to the nurses in front of the ward, with my husband telling me not to touch the patient; and informed them that  the patient was having fits. Only then, did a nurse rushed to the patient's bed, asking her fellow nurses what the patient's name was.

Another incident I experienced recently was in a prayer room in a shopping mall. I had just finished my dzohor prayers when I noticed that a young lady was starting to pray in the opposite direction as opposed to everybody else. I touched her shoulders and said in Malay,' You are praying in the wrong direction'. I was ignored. I nudged her shoulders again. No response. 'How come the others was not doing anything?' I silently asked myself. No, it is not alright to silently observe somebody doing something wrong. I went forward and stood in front of her on the prayer mat. Normally, it is rude to stand in front of a person who is praying to God but I had to correct her.I told her, 'The kiblat on the other side'.Only then did she stop and turn the other way and start her prayers again.

I still do not understand what made her pray in the opposite direction. But what I really can't understand why the others let her do so!

This mature woman feels that she has reached a certain age that gives her the privilege to correct what is wrong. Some people do not like to be told they are wrong. But that does not deter me. I do what I do because I CARE and I am a PERFECTIONIST, always wanting to do the right thing, the right way.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Hey Aishah! that's a good one. I like it!

Sherry said...

Hi AZIZAH! Apologies for error in your name earlier....

Azizah said...

Thanks Sherry.

I love your blog too.Will try to leave a comment some time.