Monday, October 27, 2008

Making Curries


I was back in my home state twice in 2 weeks. The first time was to visit my grandaunt who was hospitalised after a fall. She's 79 years old and her memories were failing fast. I called my aunt this morning and learnt that her recovery has been great as she has regained much of her health and her dementia has improved. Maybe, the fall put the files in her brain back in place!

Last weekend, I visited my sister and got a tip that our Mum had passed to her. Being the eldest, she took care of my Mum most of the time when she first started working and later when she got married.My Mum stayed longer with her than with her other children.
Making curries was the first dish we learnt as children, after cooking rice. Mind you, there were no rice cookers back then. My first curry was a bit to sourish, but everyone said it was delicious. I was only thirteen then.

I was cooking curry last weekend in my sister's kitchen. As usual I premix the curry powder with water before adding to the fried onions, garlic, curry leaves and pounded ginger amd mixed fenugreek.Sis told me that to make the curry red, you just throw in the curry powder into the fried ingredients without premixing them in water. True enough when I came home and did as she suggested, my curry turn red instead of yellowish. Previously, I had added chilli paste to make the curry red thinking that the curry powder did not have enough chillies.

Well, children, that's my Mum's tip I learn from my sister. I should visit her more to get more tips.

2 comments:

Norma Kassim PhD said...

Good tips ..

Azizah said...

Hi, Norma,
How's things?Have linked your blog to mine but sometimes your postings too academic for me to digest.